Powered By Blogger

Sunday, April 12, 2020

Book Reviewed: Low-Carb Vegetarian Cookbook: 100 Easy Recipes and a Kick-Start Meal Plan by Amy Lawrence and Justin Fox Burks

Carbohydrates: How carbs fit into a healthy diet

I have been a vegetarian much of my life, but recently my physician said that my blood glucose level is high, and I must go on a low glycemic index (Low-GI) diet. Although I led a relatively healthy lifestyle, I worried that a change in my diet would make my life too restricted. But a low carb diet is necessary for various reasons; keeping a healthy body weight, lowering diabetic effects and remain health positive.

This book has many good features that focuses on vegetarians looking on low-carb recipes, especially Chapter 7 where you find main dishes. There are certainly interesting choices but lack variety. My favorites include "spicy vegan Philly cheesesteak stuffed peppers", and "Paneer cheese curry with spinach and arugula". There are others that may be interest for you. One drawback is that there are very few main dishes with grains. In addition, I would like to see more colored pictures of recipes in this book that help me connect with the dish I am cooking. Chapter 8 that gives dessert recipes do not have any dishes that contain ice cream.

One note I like to add is that foods with a relatively high glycemic index ranking include potatoes and white bread, snack foods, desserts and sugary beverages. Foods such as whole grains, legumes, vegetables, fruits and low-fat dairy products are naturally lower on the glycemic index. Foods with a low-GI value is the preferred choice, because they are slowly digested and absorbed, causing a slower and smaller rise in blood sugar levels (non-diabetic state). On the other hand, foods with a high GI value should be limited since they are quickly digested and absorbed resulting in a rapid rise of blood sugar (diabetic state).

No comments:

Post a Comment